Thrilled to share this 30-minute recipe for wholesome bran muffins with you! Made with out refined sugar and positively full of dietary fiber, these healthful bran muffins are a tasty AND nutritious deal with. Dairy free, no mixer required, and the add-ins are as much as you!
What do you consider once you consider “bran muffins”? Wholesome however tasteless? Nutritious however dry? Nicely, I got down to change the common-or-garden bran muffin’s popularity, so get able to rethink your preconceived notions. As a result of these wholesome bran muffins are flavorful, moist, and something however bland!
Just a few check batches later and we have now ourselves a wonderfully scrumptious, healthful, not-overly-sweet bran muffin that adults AND children get pleasure from. I had a 2-year-old, 5-year-old, 6-year-old, 9-year-old, teenager, plus grownup style testers right here… approval throughout. 😉
Right here’s Why You’ll Love These Wholesome Bran Muffins
- Healthful and nutritious
- Barely candy, cinnamon-spiced, nutty taste
- Filled with insoluble dietary fiber
- Hearty however NOT dry, similar to these applesauce muffins
- Sweetened with honey—no refined sugar
- Dairy-free baking recipe if utilizing a dairy-free milk
- No mixer required
- Wholesome grab-and-go breakfast or anytime snack
- Freeze properly
- Add-ins are as much as you: raisins, nuts, blueberries… select your favourite
Recipe Testing for Bran Muffin Success
I tailored this recipe from my morning glory muffins and blueberry oatmeal muffins, two of the most well-liked more healthy muffin recipes on my web site. The recipe went by means of 3 rounds of testing:
- The primary check batch I made was too moist—not sufficient complete wheat flour, in order that they tasted a bit of greasy.
- For the second batch, I ignored the applesauce and let the batter sit for about quarter-hour earlier than baking, so the bran might take in a few of the liquid. This made the batter actually thick, however then the muffins tasted too dry. Higher to bake the batter immediately.
- My third strive was the “good” Goldilocks-approved batch of bran muffins, which is the recipe I’m sharing with you right this moment.
What Is Wheat Bran?
The bran is the protecting outer layer, or shell, of the wheat kernel, which is stripped away in the course of the milling course of. Nevertheless it’s truly tremendous wealthy in insoluble fiber and different vitamins, and has a calmly candy, nutty taste. What’s to not like about this superfood?!
What Sort of Wheat Bran Ought to I Use?
A whole lot of bran muffin recipes name for bran cereal, however we’re simply utilizing straight-up wheat bran right here, so there aren’t any added elements from the cereal.
I normally discover wheat bran within the cereal aisle close to the oats, or you’ll be able to purchase it on-line. I like Bob’s Crimson Mill model (not working with them, simply genuinely like their merchandise). No must soak it or sift it or something earlier than utilizing, simply add it as a dry ingredient.
A pair questions & solutions:
- Can I Use Bran Cereal As an alternative? I like to recommend utilizing wheat bran for these muffins, however I do know some recipes name for grinding bran cereal (both flakes or strands, reminiscent of All-Bran or Fiber One) into crumbs to make use of instead of wheat bran. I haven’t examined it myself with this recipe. Remember the fact that most bran cereals embody sugar.
- What if I Can’t Discover Wheat Bran? For those who’re unable to search out wheat bran at your native retailer or buy it on-line, you’ll be able to strive these blueberry oatmeal muffins as a substitute. The recipe is comparable, and you’ll select any add-ins you like as a substitute of blueberries (reminiscent of raisins).
- Can I Make These Gluten Free? You may’t with out utterly altering the recipe. I like to recommend my blueberry almond muffins as a substitute.
All of the Substances You Want:
- Complete Wheat Flour: I really like utilizing complete wheat flour in baking after I can. It may possibly dry out baked items, so it’s essential to concentrate to the ratio of moist elements to steadiness it out.
- Baking Soda + Baking Powder: These leaveners assist the muffins stand up tall. I normally use 1 teaspoon every in most muffin recipes, however that proved to be an excessive amount of baking soda (it left a bit of little bit of an aftertaste). So, use 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon soda right here.
- Salt: Taste enhancer.
- Cinnamon: A favourite ingredient in lots of muffin recipes!
- Egg: The egg helps to bind the elements collectively. For those who’d wish to make these muffins vegan, swap the egg on your favourite baking egg substitute.
- Honey: Likewise, you’ll be able to swap the honey for maple syrup to make these muffins vegan.
- Coconut Oil: That is considered one of my favourite elements in baking. To keep away from a coconut-y taste, search for one which’s labeled “unrefined.” For those who don’t have coconut oil, use vegetable oil, avocado oil, or melted butter as a substitute.
- Applesauce: Unsweetened, easy applesauce takes the place of extra oil. For those who don’t have applesauce, mashed banana is a superb substitute.
- Vanilla Extract: Baked items’ favourite taste enhancer (shh, don’t inform the salt).
- Nondairy Milk: I examined this recipe with plain (unsweetened) almond milk, however you need to use oat milk or your most well-liked kind of nondairy milk. You might additionally use common dairy milk or buttermilk.
- Non-obligatory Add-ins: I used raisins within the pictured muffins, however you’ll be able to actually depart the bran muffins plain or fill with recent, frozen, or dried blueberries; dried cranberries; chopped nuts; apples; and so on.
Make Your Bran Muffins
Making these bran muffins is so simple as combining the dry elements in 1 bowl, combining the moist elements in one other bowl, then whisking them collectively and folding in your raisins or different add-ins. Truthfully couldn’t be simpler—even less complicated than whipping up a batch of zucchini muffins.
*Success Tip: The batter will shortly begin to thicken up because the wheat bran absorbs the liquid—suppose prompt oatmeal, or bran flake cereal absorbing milk the longer it’s left in your bowl. Scoop the batter into your lined muffin pan as quickly as all of your elements are mixed, and bake.
All the time admire fast, uncomplicated prep work for breakfast recipes.
Benefit from the baked muffins heat and be happy to swipe a pat of butter on every, or apple butter, or my favourite honey butter. So satisfying!
Flavorful, healthful, and tender, these bran muffins are a simple and fast wholesome baking staple. Be sure you’re utilizing pure wheat bran, not bran cereal. Use your favourite add-ins, or depart the muffins plain. See Notes for freezing directions and mini muffin directions.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Spray a 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray or use muffin liners.
- Whisk the flour, wheat bran, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon collectively in a big bowl till mixed. Put aside.
- Whisk the egg, honey, melted coconut oil, applesauce, vanilla, and milk collectively in a medium bowl till mixed. Pour the moist elements into the dry elements, and whisk to mix. Change to a rubber spatula or wood spoon and fold within the raisins (or different add-ins).
- Spoon the batter evenly into liners, filling all of them the best way to the highest. Bake for five minutes at 425°F, then, protecting the muffins within the oven, cut back the oven temperature to 350°F (177°C). Bake for a further 14–quarter-hour or till a toothpick inserted within the middle comes out clear. The whole time these muffins take within the oven is about 20 minutes, give or take. Permit the muffins to chill for five minutes within the muffin pan, then switch to a wire rack to proceed cooling.
- Muffins keep recent lined at room temperature for a couple of days, then switch to the fridge for as much as 1 week.
- Freezing Directions: For longer storage, freeze the muffins for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, then warmth up within the microwave if desired.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): 12-Rely Muffin Pan | Glass Mixing Bowls | Whisk | Muffin Liners
- Complete Wheat Flour: Be happy to exchange with all-purpose flour, or use a mixture of each all-purpose and complete wheat.
- Wheat Bran: I normally discover wheat bran within the cereal aisle close to the oats, or you’ll be able to purchase it on-line. I like Bob’s Crimson Mill model (not working with them, simply genuinely like their merchandise). No must soak it or sift it or something earlier than utilizing, simply add it as a dry ingredient. For those who’re unable to search out wheat bran at your native retailer or buy it on-line, you’ll be able to strive these blueberry oatmeal muffins as a substitute. The recipe is comparable, and you’ll select any add-ins you like as a substitute of blueberries (reminiscent of raisins).
- Can I Use Bran Cereal As an alternative? I like to recommend utilizing wheat bran for these muffins, however I do know some recipes name for grinding bran cereal (both flakes or strands, reminiscent of All-Bran or Fiber One) into crumbs to make use of instead of wheat bran. I haven’t examined it myself with this recipe. Bear in mind most bran cereals embody sugar.
- Coconut Oil: For those who don’t have coconut oil, use the identical quantity of vegetable oil, avocado oil, or melted butter as a substitute.
- Applesauce: For those who don’t have applesauce, mashed banana is a superb substitute.
- Milk: I take advantage of plain (unsweetened) almond milk, however you need to use any kind of milk—dairy or nondairy—that you just want, or buttermilk. Vitamin info calculated utilizing plain unsweetened almond milk.
- Raisins/Add-ins: You should utilize 2/3 cup of any add-ins you like as a substitute of raisins, reminiscent of dried cranberries, chopped walnuts or pecans, recent or dried blueberries, or peeled and finely chopped apples, or depart the muffins plain. If utilizing apples, I normally use nearer to 1 cup. Vitamin info calculated utilizing raisins.
- Why the preliminary excessive oven temperature? Like I do for many muffin recipes, bake the muffins for five minutes at a very popular temperature. Then, protecting the muffins within the oven, change to a decrease temperature for the remaining bake time. This preliminary excessive temperature will shortly elevate the muffin tops in order that they’re further excessive, then the facilities will bake in the course of the lower-temperature bake time. This trick makes lovely bakery-style muffins each time.
- Mini Muffins: If making these in a mini muffin pan, bake 12–13 minutes whole at 350°F (177°C) the entire time.
- Vitamin Info Per 1 Muffin: Energy (191), Whole Fats (7.3g), Sodium (174mg), Carbohydrates (31g), Dietary Fiber (4.2g), Sugar (14g), Protein (3.7g)
- Serving Dimension: 1 muffin
- Energy: 191
- Sugar: 14.1 g
- Sodium: 174.7 mg
- Fats: 7.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 31.4 g
- Fiber: 4.2 g
- Protein: 3.7 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 15.5 mg