There was a chill within the air right here, however then final weekend it shot as much as virtually 80F levels in Minnesota! I’ve been spending lots of time exterior working, strolling and simply hanging out as a result of we gotta benefit from the heat whereas we will earlier than the snow flies quickly. However I’m nonetheless having fun with fall treats and baking, and I believe my favourite fall vegetable is something within the squash household. Pumpkin will get all the love this time of 12 months, however do you know that you need to use butternut squash in scrumptious desserts too? It’s barely sweeter than pumpkin, so it truly is actually good in baking and presents you a similar texture as pumpkin! So after I had some butternut squash puree final weekend, I made a decision to make a scrumptious layer cake with it! I really like spice cake, and that’s what I used to be craving! So I made this Vegan Butternut Squash Maple Layer Cake!
The batter for this cake is definitely very easy to make, no particular whipping of the batter or something. I primarily based it off of one in all my pumpkin cake recipes however utilizing squash and altered the spices barely choosing simply cinnamon and ginger, and including a contact of maple and vanilla extracts to make it further scrumptious! I made this with complete wheat pastry flour as a result of it’s what I desire, however if you want to make it with common all goal flour that will work as nicely, or perhaps a gluten free flour mix, like Bob’s Crimson Mill all goal gluten free baking flour. I’ve used that previously with good success.
The cake baked up fantastically and I couldn’t wait to strive it! However first, I needed to make the frosting! As a result of what’s cake with out frosting?! I made a vegan simple buttercream frosting, so simply vegan butter, a contact of milk and powdered sugar. I’ve to say, that is my favourite frosting and I first began making it after I was little with my Grandma however with actual butter. Which has been simply swapped out with the vegan butter! I used Earth Steadiness sticks this time. It’s so easy and really easy and all the time seems good! This time I flavored it with a bit of maple and maple extract plus vanilla and it was so scrumptious I’m not going to lie I simply ate the additional frosting plain lol.
The frosting was good with the squash cake! This was actually crave worthy and simply the form of factor I crave within the fall! I loved it with a cup of espresso and it was so heavenly! The squash stored the cake moist but it surely was not heavy it was gentle and simply the fitting texture! It was fragrant with the scents of vanilla, maple ginger and cinnamon and that luscious creamy frosting was the right last contact! If you’re a butternut squash fan, or simply within the temper for a candy fall deal with, positively give this Vegan Butternut Squash Maple Layer Cake a strive! You will discover canned butternut squash puree within the canned vegetable part at most grocery shops.
Vegan Butternut Squash Maple Layer Cake
Makes 1 6 inch 2 layer cake
- 1 1/2 cups natural complete wheat pastry flour (or common AP flour)
- 1 cup maple sugar or brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp floor ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup pureed butternut squash
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp maple extract
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp oat milk (I used Oatly, however you need to use what you favor) or different plant primarily based milk
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups vegan butter, I used Earth Steadiness (at room temperature)
- 2 Tbsp oat milk (I used Oatly, however you need to use what you favor), add 1 extra Tbsp if wanted if frosting comes out too stiff
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp maple extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F levels and place rack in middle of oven.
- Line two six-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides with parchment paper. Coat parchment paper and pan sides with nonstick spray.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, spices, salt, and sugar in a big bowl to mix nicely. Whisk squash, oil, maple extract, vanilla extract, and milk collectively in small bowl to mix nicely, then whisk into the flour combination till nicely blended. Whisk in cider vinegar till pale swirls type within the batter and it’s nicely mixed.
- Switch cake batter to ready pans and bake muffins till tester inserted into middle comes out clear with a number of crumbs hooked up, about half-hour. Take away from oven.
- Cool muffins fully in pan on rack, about 1 hour. Reduce round sides of pans to loosen. Flip muffins out onto two plates; peel off parchment paper.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter with the milk, maple syrup, maple extract and vanilla till fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, and beat till fully combined and lightweight and fluffy (if the frosting is simply too stiff add that different Tbsp of milk).
- When able to frost, Place one cake layer on a plate, unfold about 1/2 inch thick layer of the frosting over it.
- Place the following cake layer on prime.
- Unfold the remaining frosting on the highest and down the edges of the cake evenly, then place the remainder of the frosting in a pastry bag and use it to embellish the highest. This frosting recipe makes sufficient that it’s best to have the ability to do some beneficiant piping decorations on prime, as a result of I like lots of frosting!
- Serve the cake and revel in!
Retailer any leftover cake within the fridge for as much as 1 week in a lined container.