These inexperienced hen enchiladas are so easy to make. With salsa verde, hen, bitter cream, cheese, and cilantro, they’re a tasty, fast, and simple dinner. Soar to the Rooster Enchiladas Recipe
Watch The Video
Make the Best Salsa Verde Enchiladas
I like enchiladas with pink sauce, however my favourite option to make hen enchiladas is with salsa verde. Salsa verde is a inexperienced salsa constituted of tomatillos, garlic, onion, and peppers. It’s completely scrumptious. You may make salsa verde your self (right here’s our simple recipe) otherwise you purchase it on the grocery retailer. I particularly love utilizing the Hatch model once I don’t have do-it-yourself available. In case you’re within the temper for pink hen enchiladas, use our do-it-yourself enchilada sauce as a substitute. Right here’s our recipe for pink chili hen enchiladas.
What you’ll want:
These easy enchiladas are spicy, creamy, and tacky. Our recipe beneath serves 4, however you possibly can simply double and even triple it for a crowd. I do that when attending household potlucks on a regular basis. These are all the time successful.
- Salsa verde which can be known as tomatillo salsa. As I discussed above, you should buy this on the retailer or make your individual.
- Cooked and shredded hen. Retailer-bought rotisserie hen or leftover hen works completely. I additionally love making huge batches of shredded hen for dinners all through the week. Right here’s our recipe for tender shredded hen if you wish to do the identical.
- Garlic provides further taste and spice.
- Bitter cream and shredded cheese. The bitter cream makes the inexperienced sauce for the enchiladas further creamy and the cheese melts within the oven.
- Contemporary cilantro provides an additional pop of colour and freshness.
- Corn or flour tortillas. Corn are extra conventional, however flour works, too. We used flour tortillas within the video. Right here’s our recipe for corn tortillas in addition to our recipe for flour tortillas.
Making salsa verde enchilada sauce
This creamy inexperienced enchilada sauce couldn’t be easier. Right here’s the easy steps I observe to make it:
Step 1: Heat garlic in somewhat oil and stir in salsa verde. The salsa already has garlic added, however I like the additional spice from the additional garlic.
Step 2: Stir in bitter cream and recent cilantro to the salsa. It’s the bitter cream that makes the sauce so creamy.
Step 3: Stir in shredded hen and a handful of cheese. By including the hen to the nice and cozy sauce, it will get a head begin on warming up. The hen absorbs a lot taste. I may simply cease right here and eat the entire skillet!
Step 4: Fill tortillas with the hen and sauce and roll up. So the sauce stays contained in the tortillas, place the enchiladas seam-side down right into a baking dish.
Step 5: Unfold the remaining sauce over the enchiladas and high with cheese. I bake them within the oven till the cheese has melted and the sauce is sweet and bubbly.
One be aware concerning the tortillas
As I discussed above, you should use flour or corn tortillas to make these enchiladas. Corn are the extra conventional alternative, nevertheless it will depend on what you’ve available and the feel you’d like.
Flour tortillas soften within the oven, whereas corn tortillas will maintain up a bit higher. In case you use corn tortillas, search for thicker tortillas since they maintain up a bit higher than skinny.
You will want to melt the corn tortillas up a bit earlier than filling and rolling them. Frying them in somewhat oil softens them and enhances the corn taste of the tortillas.
Extra recipes utilizing salsa verde
Recipe up to date, initially posted February 2012. Since posting this in 2012, we’ve got tweaked the recipe to be extra clear and added a fast recipe video. – Adam and Joanne
Straightforward Salsa Verde Rooster Enchiladas
These inexperienced hen enchiladas with salsa verde, hen, bitter cream, cheese and cilantro are easy to make. Salsa verde is a inexperienced tomatillo salsa made with garlic, onion and peppers. You may make it your self (see our do-it-yourself salsa verde recipe) or purchase it from the shop. There are some nice choices. Search for a salsa with medium warmth.
Makes 4 Servings
Watch Us Make the Recipe
You Will Want
1 teaspoon impartial flavored oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups (16 ounces) salsa verde, store-bought or strive our roasted salsa verde recipe
1/2 cup bitter cream
1/4 cup cilantro leaves and tender stems, chopped, plus extra for serving
2 cups shredded cooked hen, see how we make shredded hen
1 cup shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack or Mexican cheese mix
6 (6-inch) flour or corn tortillas, see notes
- Make Sauce
Warmth oil in a skillet over medium warmth then prepare dinner garlic till aromatic, about 1 minute. Stir within the salsa verde and prepare dinner till heated by way of, about 1 minute. Take away skillet from the warmth then stir within the bitter cream and cilantro. Style for seasoning, adjusting with salt, pepper or extra bitter cream if the sauce it too spicy. Put aside about 1 cup of the sauce for assembling the enchiladas.
Adam and Joanne’s Suggestions
- Meatless Model: Swap the hen for greens reminiscent of zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, onion, and winter squash. Add them to the creamy sauce cooked, however nonetheless with some crunch since they may proceed to prepare dinner within the oven.
- Tortillas: Each flour and corn tortillas can be utilized. Flour tortillas soften rather more than corn so it will depend on what you’ve available and the ultimate end result you’re in search of. In case you use corn tortillas, search for thicker tortillas since they maintain up a bit higher than skinny. You will want to melt the corn tortillas up a bit earlier than filling and rolling them. Frying them in somewhat oil softens them and enhances the corn taste of the tortillas.
- Make-ahead: Because the enchiladas sit, they take in increasingly of the sauce, which might make them softer and somewhat soggy. I desire making these the day of and don’t advocate making them forward of time or freezing them. (That stated, I’ve been identified to chow down on the leftovers the following day with out criticism.)
- Vitamin information: The vitamin information supplied beneath are estimates. We’ve used the USDA database to calculate approximate values.
Vitamin Per Serving: Energy 460 / Protein 33 g / Carbohydrate 31 g / Dietary Fiber 3 g / Whole Sugars 7 g / Whole Fats 23 g / Saturated Fats 11 g / Ldl cholesterol 113 mg
Extra Enchilada Recipes: