Ahem. Your consideration, please! Common readers of this weblog know we hardly ever toot our personal horns, however we’re making an exception for this distinctive (if we do say so ourselves) mussels recipe. We set out with a objective to create a restaurant-worthy recipe that helps Seafoodies hone their kitchen abilities, is really simple to organize and comes collectively in lower than an hour. The result’s our unbelievable Mussels with White Wine Sauce, and we’re so stoked about it, we’ll gladly taste-test it in opposition to every other mussels dish. It’s actually that good!
No dialogue of mussels recipes can proceed, nevertheless, with out speaking about beards—particularly, debearding. In terms of bivalves, the beard’s actually gotta go! That is the purpose the place some seafood lovers get chilly ft, however don’t fear, this can be a Seafood Supper Membership recipe—so we’ll present you the right way to put together these mussels, step-by-step. And earlier than you recognize it, you’ll have one other method so as to add to your Seafoodie bag of tips!
As soon as they’re cleaned, all these clean-shaven mollusks want is a flash within the pan with some wine, lemon and spices. The consequence: Tender mussels, an incredible aroma and a sauce that’s simply crying out for some crusty bread so you possibly can savor each final drop! We love this dish as an appetizer—it’s sized to share! Or served over whole-wheat pasta with a aspect salad, it makes a properly balanced entrée with nook bistro vibes.
Mussels don’t simply style nice: On a dietary scale of 1 to 10, they’re out of this world! Mussels are low in energy, boast a whopping 20 grams of protein per 3-ounce serving and provide various different vitamins like iron and vitamin C, to assist assist your power, immune system and cognitive operate. All in all, a no brainer addition to your weekly meal plan!
So, deliver on the vacation dinner events, cozy date nights and busy weeknight meals. No matter this winter dishes out, you’ll be prepared for it with this mouthwatering mussels recipe in your again pocket!
Mussels with White Wine Sauce
Prep time: 35 minutes (principally unattended)
Cook dinner time: 10 minutes
Complete time: 45 minutes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 kilos mussels, cleaned
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 2 cups white wine
- ½ teaspoon crimson pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- Crusty, whole-grain bread or baguette (optionally available)
- Lemon wedges (optionally available)
Mussel Cleansing Directions
- Mussels must breathe. After bringing them residence from the shop, instantly unwrap mussels and examine them. Discard any mussel that’s chipped, damaged or broken. Additionally, discard any opened mussels that don’t tightly shut if you faucet them. Place mussels in a bowl lined with a moist towel within the fridge.
- Simply earlier than cooking, soak mussels in recent water for about 20 minutes to allow them to expel sand.
- Most mussels have what is often referred to as a “beard” manufactured from fibers that emerge from the mussel’s shell. To take away it, maintain the mussel in a single hand and grasp the beard with the opposite. Give the beard a pointy yank towards the hinge finish of the mussel. (Don’t pull towards the opening finish of the mussel, or you possibly can tear and kill the mussel.) Discard the beards.
- By hand, switch the mussels from the water right into a recent bowl of unpolluted, chilly water. (Don’t use a strainer, otherwise you’ll find yourself pouring the filtered sand again on prime of the mussels.)
- Use a agency brush to brush off any further sand, barnacles or different oceanic attachments. Rinse the mussels underneath cool faucet water and put aside. Dry with a towel earlier than cooking.
- In a big pot, warmth olive oil and garlic; prepare dinner for about 1 minute, till garlic is aromatic.
- Add clear mussels, lemon juice, lemon zest, white wine, crimson pepper flakes and basil.
- Cowl and simmer over medium warmth till mussels are steamed open, about 4 to six minutes. Cook dinner time relies on how lengthy it takes the mussels to open—it’d take much less time, based mostly on stovetop efficiency.
- Take away pot from warmth and discard unopened mussels. Serve with crusty bread and lemon wedges.