Irish stew is one thing of a staple in our home. It’s simple to make, and comparatively cheap given it’s historically made with lamb neck chops and potatoes, which converse to the origins of the dish.
With St Patrick’s Day not distant, we’ve determined to place a brand new spin the dish, utilizing a lamb shoulder for the protein, which is smoked first, then braised in what’s going to ultimately turn into the gravy and greens of the dish.
The excellent news is, it’s nonetheless tremendous easy to make!
Irish Stew Elements
- 2kg lamb shoulder
- Lamb BBQ rub (we use Moonshine BBQ Lamb Rub)
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 carrots, lower into rounds
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 2 TBS tomato paste
- 2 beef inventory cubes
- Bunch of parsley, chopped
- Bunch of mint, leaves picked and chopped
- 1 cup chilly water
- 2 cups boiling water
Irish Stew Methodology
Put together your kettle BBQ utilizing the snake methodology, and place a water pan beneath the centre of the grill. Mild a dozen coals in a chimney starter after which add to the entrance of the snake when prepared, and add smoking wooden. We used cherry for this recipe.
- Trim all of the fats and sinew out of your lamb shoulder
- Season nicely in Moonshine BBQ Lamb Rub or different lamb rub
- Place on the BBQ and smoke for two hours or till inner temperature is 165F
- Put together your greens however dicing your onion, slicing your potatoes thinly and reducing your carrots to skinny rounds
- Place 3/4 of the greens on the underside of a roasting dish, place the smoked shoulder on high of and high with remaining greens
- Combine the flour with the tomato paste and 1 cup of chilly water (use chilly so the flour doesn’t clump), and whisk collectively. You’re on the lookout for a thick however easy consistency
- Crumble in your inventory cubes and add scorching water, whisking till the cubes are dissolved.
- Add chopped parsley to the combination, whisk once more after which pour over the meat
- Return the tray to the BBQ and canopy with foil. Place the lid again on the kettle and prepare dinner for an extra three hours
- After three hours examine the meat, it needs to be tender sufficient to interrupt off with a picket spoon. If the gravy is just too skinny, place the tray within the hottest a part of the kettle with out the foil to cut back it.
- As soon as cooked, shred the meat off the bone utilizing two forks, stir the meat by means of the gravy and greens
- High with extra chopped parsley and chopped mint to serve.