This Rooster Pot Pie Casserole has all the comfortable flavors of a traditional hen pot pie, topped with flaky biscuits as a substitute of baked inside a pie crust. It’s hearty, healthful, and excellent for warming up a hungry crowd!
This put up could include affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.
Straightforward Rooster Pot Pie Casserole Recipe
Jillian from our church shared the thought for this Rooster Pot Pie Casserole once we acquired to speaking about Rooster Pot Pie. They’ve 5 younger youngsters and this casserole is how she makes sufficient of their family-favorite dish to feed her hungry crew.
I cherished the thought and was excited to recreate it. This rustic hen pot pie casserole recipe has all the comfortable, comforting flavors of a traditional hen pot pie, however with out the fuss of creating a pie.
As a substitute, high your saucy hen pot pie filling with delicate and flaky Home made Biscuits that bake up crisp and golden, identical to a pie crust would. There’s no dough to relax or mildew right into a pie plate. Only a savory, crowd-pleasing casserole that comes collectively in a single pan.
Rooster Pot Pie Casserole Video
Watch Natasha make the dreamiest, creamiest hen pot pie casserole. Right here’s why you’ll love this straightforward recipe:
- Tremendous Easy – When you’re craving hen pot pie in a rush, this easy but flavorful casserole is a dream. It’s straightforward as pie, minus the precise pie.
- No Canned Soup – The selfmade hen pot pie filling is wealthy and creamy, made with tender greens, hen, and mushrooms, and no condensed soup is required.
- Household-Pleasant – This hen pot pie casserole is ideal for feeding the household, and also you’ll nonetheless have leftovers.
What Is Rooster Pot Pie?
Conventional hen pot pies are made out of a filling of creamy gravy with shredded or diced hen and greens, baked inside a pie crust. This hen pot pie casserole is a enjoyable variation made out of the identical scrumptious filling, topped with buttery biscuits as a substitute.
This hen pot pie casserole recipe is filled with protein, plus some contemporary herbs and veggies. Under is what you’ll must make it, with the complete recipe particulars obtainable within the recipe card.
- Rooster – You’ll want cooked and shredded hen. This casserole is an effective way to make use of up leftover roast hen, or you’ll be able to choose up a rotisserie hen from the shop.
- Butter – I want to cook dinner with unsalted butter every time doable, to have extra management over the saltiness of a recipe.
- Onions, Carrots, Mushrooms, and Garlic – Diced onion, carrot, and garlic create an fragrant taste base for the sauce, whereas mushrooms add some earthy meatiness.
- Flour – Including all-purpose flour to the melted butter and sautéd veggies kinds what’s referred to as a “roux”. This mixture of flour and fats is used to thicken the gravy sauce.
- Rooster Inventory and Heavy Cream – Just like the butter, I want to make use of low-sodium hen inventory within the gravy, in order that the casserole doesn’t come out too salty. Entire-fat heavy cream will yield the creamiest hen pot pie filling.
- Frozen Peas and Parsley – You may add the peas straight from the freezer, so there’s no must thaw them. Add a sprinkle of finely chopped contemporary parsley for extra shade and taste.
- Biscuit Dough – One recipe of my selfmade biscuit dough is sufficient to cowl the highest of the casserole.
Professional Tip: This recipe is an effective way to make use of leftover hen with out it tasting like leftovers. Subsequent time you Roast Two Chickens, make Baked Rooster Breast or have leftover Roast Turkey, you should utilize them to make a Pot Pie Casserole.
The best way to Make Rooster Pot Pie Casserole
Earlier than you start, get your oven preheating to 400ºF whilst you butter up a casserole dish. Right here’s methods to make this hearty oven-baked pot pie casserole:
Making the Rooster Pot Pie Filling
- Sauté the Veggies – In a dutch oven or heavy pot, sauté onions and carrots with melted butter. Subsequent, stir within the mushrooms and garlic and cook dinner till delicate.
- Put together the Gravy – Add flour, stirring whereas it cooks off and kinds a roux. After a few minutes, stir within the hen inventory and heavy cream. Give the sauce a beneficiant seasoning with salt and pepper whereas it involves a simmer.
- Add Rooster – Lastly, stir in shredded hen, adopted by frozen peas and parsley. Take the pot off the warmth and preserve the hen filling coated whilst you put together the biscuit dough.
Including the Biscuit Topping
- Add Biscuits – Minimize out 10 biscuits out of your dough, and fill your prepped casserole dish with hen pot pie filling. Organize the biscuits in a single layer over high.
- Bake – Bake the casserole for about 25 minutes at 400ºF. The biscuits ought to be overrated and golden after they come out of the oven.
- Serve – Dig into this casserole whereas it’s nonetheless heat. See under for straightforward serving solutions.
Professional Tip: When you discover that your biscuits are browning too rapidly, loosely cowl or tent the casserole dish with foil whereas it continues baking. Take away the foil for the previous few minutes to crisp up the biscuit tops.
Home made biscuits mustn’t get soggy. They’re fluffy and excellent from high to backside and in addition don’t get soggy on the reheat. To forestall a soggy biscuit, bake the casserole straight away after including the biscuits.
Sure, you’ll be able to substitute store-bought biscuit dough. I do hope you give the selfmade biscuits a strive, although. The dough is fast and straightforward and comes collectively with none kneading or fancy tools (though a pastry cutter makes the job even simpler).
The simplest manner is with a kitchen thermometer. The inner temperature of your hen casserole ought to learn 165ºF.
Straightforward Variation Concepts
Really feel like mixing up the elements in your hen pot pie casserole? Strive these fast and straightforward substitutions and variation concepts:
- Pie Crust – Instead of biscuits, high your casserole with a Lattice Pie Crust. Notice that completely different pastry crusts could brown sooner than others.
- Cheese – For a tacky casserole, sprinkle shredded cheddar over the filling earlier than including the biscuits over high.
- Protein – As talked about above, you’ll be able to change the shredded hen on this recipe with shredded turkey, baked ham, and even floor sausage for one more variation of pot pie.
- Veggies – Be at liberty to go away the mushrooms out or change them with different greens, like diced inexperienced beans, candy corn, or celery. You may also change the frozen peas with frozen blended greens as a substitute.
- Vegetarian – When you want to make this a vegetarian pot pie, you’ll be able to omit the hen and change it with extra greens or your alternative of meat different.
Methods to Serve Rooster Pot Pie Casserole
Rooster pot pie casserole is a splendidly comforting meal all by itself, or you’ll be able to spherical out a comfy household dinner with straightforward facet dishes:
Whether or not you’re seeking to make this casserole upfront or retailer your leftovers, listed below are the simple storage and reheating directions:
- To Refrigerate: Leftover hen pot pie casserole will preserve within the fridge for as much as 3 days when saved hermetic.
- To Reheat: Reheat the baked casserole within the oven or within the microwave, both entire or in parts. I want the oven technique because it helps to crisp up the biscuits once more.
If your loved ones loves healthful consolation meals as a lot as we do, we simply know you’ll gobble up this straightforward pot pie casserole, too!
Extra Straightforward Rooster Dinners
Loopy about this creamy hen pot pie casserole? Take a look at these different cozy hen dinner concepts:
Rooster Pot Pie Casserole
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Prepare dinner Time: 40 minutes
Whole Time: 50 minutes
This Rooster Pot Pie Casserole has all of the comforting flavors of Rooster Pot Pie, but it surely’s simpler in casserole kind. This recipe is topped with flaky biscuits as a substitute of baked inside a pie crust, excellent for feeding a crowd. It is even simpler should you use leftover hen from a Roast Rooster, Baked Rooster Breast, and even leftover Roast Turkey.
Value to Make:
hen casserole recipes, hen pot pie casserole
Servings: 8 servings
cooked hen, shredded*
unsalted butter, plus 1/2 Tbsp extra to brush biscuits
medium yellow onion, (1 cup chopped)
medium carrots, (1 cup) thinly sliced
white or brown mushrooms, (stems discarded), sliced
garlic cloves, minced
advantageous sea salt, or to style, plus kosher salt to garnish
black pepper, plus extra to garnish
frozen peas, don’t thaw
parsley, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 400 ̊F. Butter a 9×12 casserole dish.
In a dutch oven or pot, soften 6 Tbsp butter. Add diced onions and carrots and saute 8 minutes over medium warmth till delicate.
Add sliced mushrooms and minced garlic and saute one other 3-5 minutes till mushrooms are softened.
Add 1/3 cup flour and stir always for two minutes. Add hen inventory, and 1/2 cup heavy cream then carry to a simmer and cook dinner 1 minute or till combination is a thick gravy consistency. Add 2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, or season to style. It ought to be well-seasoned.
Add shredded cooked hen, frozen peas, and 1/4 cup parsley. Stir to mix then flip take away from warmth and canopy to maintain heat whilst you make the biscuit dough and reduce out 10 biscuits (I normally get 8 biscuits and pull collectively the scraps to make an additional 2 biscuits for a complete of 10).
Unfold the hen combination into the ready casserole dish. Prime with biscuits in a single layer and bake uncovered at 400 ̊F for 25-28 minutes or till biscuits are puffed and golden. Take away from the oven and brush the biscuits with 1/2 Tbsp melted butter and serve.
Rooster Pot Pie Casserole
Quantity Per Serving
Energy from Fats 225
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 11g69%
Trans Fats 0.3g
Polyunsaturated Fats 4g
Monounsaturated Fats 8g
Ldl cholesterol 94mg31%
Vitamin A 3357IU67%
Vitamin C 13mg16%
* P.c Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss program.