Peanut Chutney or Groundnut Chutney is a fast, scrumptious, and wonderful substitute for Coconut Chutney. This filled with flavors, Peanut Chutney is made with peanuts, sesame seeds, chana dal, spices and herbs. Greatest served or paired with the traditional South Indian breakfast of Idli, Dosa, Medu Vada, or Uttapam for a hearty, healthful, wholesome meal. It’s naturally vegan too.
About Peanut Chutney
So like me what number of of you want peanuts? It’s a great ingredient to work with.
Some Indian curries made with peanuts style merely delish. They not solely add a ton of taste but additionally assist in thickening these curries.
Peanuts are often known as groundnuts. Should you love peanuts, you’ll go gaga over this South Indian recipe of peanut chutney. It’s so good.
This groundnut chutney recipe can also be known as Palli Chutney within the Andhra and Telangana areas of South India.
The candy, nutty flavors of peanuts are completely balanced with the spice, warmth of inexperienced chilies, and the umami taste of chana dal.
Make it and thank me later. You need to do that peanut chutney to know the way superior and fabulous it’s.
Making peanut chutney is a breeze and my recipe will suit your wants if you happen to would not have useful coconut – contemporary, frozen, or desiccated.
My newly up to date recipe is simpler, as you may merely make it with uncooked chana dal with out having to make use of roasted chana dal.
I additionally embody some white sesame seeds. Peanuts, chana dal, and sesame seeds – a wholesome trio, isn’t it? So it is a wholesome chutney recipe for you.
, many instances I’ve each contemporary coconut and desiccated coconut in my kitchen. However there are events when there is no such thing as a hint of any coconut within the pantry.
We usually have a typical Indian breakfast within the mornings. Both it’s idli or dosa or poha or paratha.
So after I make idli or dosa, I’ve to make some chutney – proper? On such events, I make this fast peanut chutney. And what if there are not any peanuts or coconut? Then I make Tomato Chutney.
In contrast to coconut chutney, this groundnut chutney gained’t change into spoiled or rancid if you happen to embody it in a lunchbox or hold it out for an extended period at room temperature.
Groundnut chutney is superb throughout winters as a result of nature of peanuts being heaty.
Tips on how to make Peanut Chutney
Fry Chana Dal
1. Warmth 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Hold the warmth to low and add 2 tablespoons chana dal (20 grams). Chana dal is husked and halved child brown chickpeas. They’re additionally known as bengal gram.
For the oil you should utilize sunflower, peanut, canola, rice bran, safflower, avocado, or grapeseed oil.
2. Unfold them evenly on the pan with every lentil being in direct contact with the pan.
3. Stirring typically fry the lentils till they flip golden. Fry them at low warmth, in order that they don’t burn.
Bear in mind to fry them totally as you don’t want them to be even a bit uncooked.
4. Take away with a slotted spoon and set the fried lentils apart.
5. To the identical oil, add ½ cup peanuts (80 grams).
6. Combine them with the oil and begin roasting them on low warmth.
7. Stirring at intervals roast them till they modify coloration and also you see their fragile papery skins having advantageous cracks. Additionally, you will hear their sputtering sound.
Roasting them takes 4 to five minutes on low to medium-low warmth. Style just a few and they need to have a crunchy and crisp texture.
8. Now add 10 to 12 curry leaves (medium to large-sized), 2 inexperienced chillies, 2 garlic cloves (small to medium), and 1 pinch asafetida (hing).
Tip: Inexperienced chilies convey quite a lot of taste and a few warmth to the recipe. They assist to stability the sweetness from the peanuts.
Relying on the kind of inexperienced chilies you’ve, you may add 2 to three chilies and even 4 of them. If in case you have spicy Indian inexperienced chilies, then add 1 or 2.
If in case you have much less spicy inexperienced chilies, then add 3 or 4. You can too add 2 to three dry crimson chilies rather than the inexperienced chilies.
9. Sauté for a minute or till the curry leaves change into crisp.
10. Add 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (10 grams).
11. Combine and change off the warmth. Put aside the pan in order that the groundnut chutney elements to chill at room temperature.
Make Peanut Chutney
12. When the groundnut chutney elements have change into heat or cooled, place them in a blender or a mixer-grinder. Add the fried chana dal and salt as per style.
Tip: I might counsel starting with ½ teaspoon salt when mixing. Then add just a few pinches as you mix doing the style take a look at.
13. Add water in elements and start to mix.
Tip: I’ve added ¾ cup water which supplies a medium-thick consistency. For a thicker groundnut chutney, add ½ cup water.
You may alter the consistency by including much less or extra water, however don’t make the consistency runny or skinny.
14. Mix to a easy and advantageous consistency. Switch all the peanut chutney in a bowl. Now if you need you may additional mood groundnut chutney.
However you don’t have to because the peanut chutney tastes superior the way in which it’s.
- Idli, Dosa: My peanut chutney recipe tastes too good with the South Indian breakfast of idli, dosa and makes for a brilliant wholesome meal. It additionally pairs effectively with medu vada, rava idli, rava dosa, and upma.
- Pakora: After I would not have coriander leaves useful to make Coriander Chutney, I put together this groundnut chutney to serve with the assorted sorts of pakora – onion pakoda, bread pakoda, or potato pakora.
- Rice: This chutney pairs deliciously as a facet condiment with some steamed rice.
- Bread: Slather on a bread (toasted or plain) for a fast snack or breakfast possibility.
I make this peanut chutney and refrigerate it. It stays good for two to three days. Each time I make mild snacks I serve this chutney with them or with the household favourite – idli and dosa.
Retailer your peanut chutney in an air-tight container. Refrigerate and use at any time when required inside 2 to three days.
- Peanuts: To make groundnut chutney, at all times use contemporary dry peanuts. Don’t use peanuts which have gone rancid. You can too attempt to make groundnut chutney with roasted unsalted peanuts. Merely roast them calmly within the oil after which comply with the remaining steps within the recipe.
- Chana dal: These yellow lentils are husked and break up bengal gram or child brown chickpeas. If in case you have roasted chana dal, you may add ¼ cup whenever you add the sesame seeds.
- Consistency: You can also make the groundnut chutney thick or medium, by including much less or extra water.
- Variations: If you’re trying to make this groundnut chutney extra flavorful by including coconut or curd or doing a tempering, then there is no such thing as a want. It tastes nice by itself. However nonetheless, if you happen to want to mood peanut chutney, you are able to do so. However I by no means felt the necessity to do that.
Sure in fact. Peanuts are a wealthy supply of protein and dietary fiber. In addition they are a great supply of minerals and vitamin B and E. Peanuts have a much less glycemic index and thus useful for individuals with diabetes.
You may omit so as to add sesame seeds. You can too add black sesame seeds however the coloration of the groundnut chutney will likely be totally different.
Sure positive. Typically, I add a tiny piece of tamarind. Rinse or soak the tamarind in some water earlier than you mix it with the remaining elements. You may exchange tamarind with ½ teaspoon lemon juice or 1 to 2 tablespoons curd (yogurt). Lemon will give a contemporary acidic tangy style, whereas tamarind will give bitter notes.
Sure, ½ teaspoon chopped ginger will work effectively.
Sure, positive – omit the asafetida if you happen to would not have it – for a gluten-free peanut chutney.
I don’t take away the peanut skins. Should you want having them eliminated, roast the peanuts. Unfold them on a plate and funky at room temperature.
Peel the skins by rubbing the peanuts in your palms. Fry the opposite elements in 1 teaspoon oil. Mix all the things collectively.
Curry leaves are an important herb in groundnut chutney. Although not a substitute, however including 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) would give a pleasant style.
Should you would not have both curry leaves or cilantro, then skip them. Peanut chutney will style totally different with out the herby taste of curry leaves.
Skip including them altogether. The style of this groundnut chutney gained’t be the identical with out chana dal.
Please you’ll want to price the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under when you’ve got made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Peanut Chutney Recipe | Groundnut Chutney
Peanut Chutney or Groundnut Chutney is a fast, scrumptious, vegan chutney condiment made with peanuts, chana dal, sesame seeds, spices and herbs. Serve it with the traditional South Indian breakfast of idli, dosa, medu vada or uttapam for a hearty, healthful, wholesome meal.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook dinner Time 15 minutes
Complete Time 20 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Frying chana dal
Warmth 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Hold the warmth to low and add chana dal.
Unfold them evenly on the pan. Stirring typically fry them till they flip golden taking care they don’t burn.
Fry them totally as you don’t want any rawness in them. Take away with a slotted spoon and set them apart.
To the identical oil, add the peanuts.
Stirring typically roast the peanuts on low to medium-low warmth for 4 to five minutes till they’re crispy and crunchy.
Add curry leaves inexperienced chillies, garlic cloves and asafoetida. Combine and sauté for a minute or till the curry leaves change into crisp.
Add sesame seeds and blend. Change off warmth. Put aside the pan to chill the chutney elements at room temperature.
Making peanut chutney
When the chutney elements have change into heat or at room temperature, place them in a blender or a mixer-grinder. Add the fried chana dal and salt as per style.
Add water in elements and mix to a easy consistency.
Take away peanut chutney in a bowl.
Idli, dosa, vada: This peanut chutney recipe tastes too good with idli, dosa, vada, upma, rava idli, rava dosa and makes for a brilliant wholesome meal.
Pakora: Serve with varied sorts of pakora, instance onion pakoda, bread pakoda or potato pakora.
Rice: You can too have it as a facet condiment with some steamed rice.
Bread: Slather on a bread (toasted or plain) for a fast snack or breakfast possibility.
- Chana dal: These yellow lentils are husked and break up bengal gram or brown child chickpeas. If utilizing roasted chana dal, add ¼ cup whenever you add the sesame seeds.
- Peanuts: At all times use contemporary dry peanuts. Don’t use peanuts which have gone rancid. If utilizing roasted unsalted peanuts, merely roast them calmly in oil after which comply with the remaining steps within the recipe.
- Consistency: By altering the amount of water, you may have a thick or medium consistency.
- Variations: If you’re trying to make this chutney extra flavorful by including coconut or curd or doing a tempering, then there is no such thing as a want. It tastes nice by itself. However nonetheless, if you happen to want to mood, you are able to do so.
- White sesame seeds: Merely omit or exchange them with black sesame seeds. The colour of groundnut chutney will likely be totally different with black sesame seeds.
- Garlic: Use about ½ inch ginger.
- Asafetida: Skip including it to the peanut chutney.
- Curry leaves: Not a substitute, however including 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) offers a pleasant style. Skip them if you happen to would not have these. Notice that with out the herby taste of curry leaves, groundnut chutney can have a special style.
- Chana dal: Skip including them fully.
Peanut Chutney Recipe | Groundnut Chutney
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 186 Energy from Fats 126
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Vitamin A 113IU2%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 37mg185%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 63mg76%
Vitamin E 3mg20%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 381µg95%
* % Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.
This Peanut Chutney recipe from the archives first printed on Feb 2013 has been republished and up to date on January 2022.