This hearty, savory Lentil Bolognese is a good vegetarian meal that doesn’t sacrifice consolation. It’s additionally excessive in protein and fiber!
I get requested to share extra vegetarian recipes usually, and I’m all the time comfortable to as a result of I like consuming plant-based meals. Lentils are a incredible supply of protein and fiber, and in contrast to dried beans, they cook dinner rapidly with out pre-soaking. This vegetarian Lentil Bolognese makes a wonderful meatless dinner. Mushrooms and a complete can of tomato paste create a deeply savory basis of taste made richer with the wine, however you may simply omit it in case you’d like. For a extra conventional Bolognese recipe, I’ve stovetop, gradual cooker, and On the spot Pot variations.
Purple Lentil Bolognese Substances
- Greens: Cube one yellow onion, two medium carrots, and eight ounces of child bella mushrooms.
- Salt to season the greens
- Tomato Paste: Use a complete can of tomato paste for a extra advanced taste.
- Garlic: Mince three garlic cloves.
- Wine: Purple wine provides richness and depth to the Bolognese sauce. Be certain that to make use of a dry, good-quality one.
- Tomatoes: I swear by Tuttorosso’s canned tomatoes. Crushed or diced tomatoes will work right here.
- Liquid: Use vegetable broth or water to cook dinner the lentils.
- Lentils: Brown, inexperienced, or break up pink lentils are all good choices for this Bolognese recipe. Every kind has roughly the identical cooking time, however break up pink lentils have a finer texture as soon as cooked, whereas brown or inexperienced will likely be extra distinctive within the sauce.
- Herbs: Season the Bolognese with dried oregano or Italian seasoning and garnish with recent basil.
- Parmesan: Garnish with freshly grated parmesan or dietary yeast for a vegan lentil Bolognese.
- Pasta: To extend the protein, serve this dish over high-protein pasta.
The right way to Make Lentil Bolognese
- Greens: Sauté the onion, carrots, mushrooms, and salt in a big pot over medium warmth. Prepare dinner till the onions are translucent and the mushrooms begin to cook dinner down.
- Tomato Paste: Stir within the tomato paste and garlic and cook dinner for 5 minutes till the paste is a deeper pink and begins to odor toasted.
- Bolognese Sauce: Pour the pink wine into the pot to deglaze and cook dinner for an additional minute. Add the tomatoes, broth, lentils, and Italian seasoning. Enhance the warmth to excessive, stirring often, till the liquid is slightly below a boil.
- Simmer: Cowl the pot, cut back the warmth to medium-low, and simmer for 25 to 40 minutes till the lentils are tender. Hold the liquid at an lively simmer, which implies there must be a bit of effervescent however not a full boil.
- Pasta: Boil a big pot of salted water and cook dinner the pasta to al dente in response to the bundle instructions. As soon as carried out, drain the pasta and stir into the sauce.
- The right way to Serve: Divide the lentil Bolognese into bowls and high with grated parmesan or dietary yeast and recent basil.
- Mushrooms: Swap child bellas with white button mushrooms.
- Not a mushroom fan? You’ll be able to skip the mushrooms in case you dislike them, however they do give the sauce a meatier texture and umami taste. In the event you cube them very small, the mushrooms aren’t as noticeable.
- Wine: Substitute pink wine with white wine or omit it in case you want to not cook dinner with it. In the event you don’t wish to open a complete bottle of wine, purchase the mini bottles or cans on the grocery store.
- Broth: In the event you’re not vegetarian, you may all the time use hen broth or inventory if that’s what you may have.
What to Serve with Lentil Bolognese
- Pasta: This straightforward Lentil Bolognese sauce is superb over pasta, like linguini, rigatoni, or rotini. I used Barilla’s Protein+ pasta for further protein and fiber. When you’ve got a gluten sensitivity, select your favourite gluten-free noodles.
- For a lower-carb possibility, serve it over zucchini noodles.
- If you wish to add a aspect dish, do this pasta with garlic knots, an Italian aspect salad, or roasted inexperienced beans.
- Meat: In the event you’re not vegetarian and wish extra protein, pair it with salmon or hen.
Leftovers will last as long as 5 days within the fridge or three months within the freezer.
- You’ll be able to freeze the Bolognese and pasta collectively or make simply sufficient pasta for the primary night time. Then freeze the sauce individually and cook dinner recent pasta earlier than consuming.
- To thaw, let the container sit in a single day within the fridge and reheat it on the range or within the microwave till heat. You could want so as to add a splash of water or broth if it’s too thick.
Lentil Bolognese FAQ
Bolognese is an Italian pasta sauce manufactured from floor meat, tomatoes, greens, and milk or cream, which originated in Bologna, Italy. Lentil Bolognese swaps floor meat with lentils for a vegetarian meal that’s additionally extra economical since lentils value lower than meat.
Lentils and mushrooms are widespread substitutions for meat in Bolognese. Some recipes use walnuts, tofu, or a vegan floor meat different.
Extra Lentil Recipes You’ll Love
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Dimension: 1 1/2 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced (1 cup)
- 8 ounce bundle child bella mushrooms, diced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup pink wine, non-compulsory
- 15- ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes, I swear by Tuttoroso
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup brown, inexperienced, or break up pink lentils
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning or dried oregano
- 1 pound excessive protein pasta, equivalent to Barilla or gluten-free pasta
- recent basil, non-compulsory for garnish
- Grated Parmesan cheese, substitute dietary yeast for vegan
In a big pot, heat the oil over medium warmth.
Add the onion, carrots, mushrooms, and salt. Stir to coat with oil and sauté for about 8 to 10 minutes, till the onion is translucent and the mushrooms begin to cook dinner down.
Add the tomato paste and garlic to the pot. Stir completely and cook dinner for about 5 minutes, stirring, or till the tomato paste is a deeper pink and beginning to odor extra toasty.
If utilizing, use the pink wine to deglaze the pot. Prepare dinner for an additional minute or two till the liquid cooks out.
Pour within the tomatoes, broth, lentils, and Italian seasoning. Enhance the warmth to medium-high, stirring often, till the liquid is slightly below a boil.
Cut back the warmth to medium-low, holding the liquid at an lively simmer, cowl and cook dinner for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring occassionally or till the lentils are tender.
Convey a pot of salted water to a boil, when the sauce is nearly prepared cook dinner the pasta in response to bundle instructions, for al dente. Drain and stir within the cooked pasta into the sauce, divide into bowls and high every bowl with grated Parmesan or dietary yeast and recent basil.
Please depart a score and remark letting us know the way you appreciated this recipe! This helps our enterprise to thrive and proceed offering free, high-quality recipes for you.
Serving: 1 1/2 cups, Energy: 358 kcal, Carbohydrates: 69 g, Protein: 19.5 g, Fats: 3 g, Sodium: 748 mg, Fiber: 10 g, Sugar: 11 g