Recent with the flavors of the Mediterranean, this fast Greek Tomato Feta Soup is a zesty and simple soup recipe made with candy juicy tomatoes, tender orzo pasta, creamy feta, and a lightweight chili kick. Pure consolation meals!
An Straightforward Tomato Feta and Orzo Soup Recipe
This vegetarian soup is impressed by the flavors and smells of the Mediterranean. Candy, ripe tomatoes, savory herbs, Greek orzo pasta, and chunks of salty feta cheese mix in a dish the place each spoonful tastes like summer time. I noticed a model of this on TikTok, and have been making it actually on repeat for months. It’s truthful to say I’m completely obsessed with this soup recipe. The easy flavors and the simplicity of the recipe are excellent, and everybody who tries it loves it!
This is without doubt one of the best soup recipes you’ll ever make, and one of many tastiest. It’s surprisingly filling because of the pasta and richness of the feta, and it’s prepared on the stovetop in lower than half-hour. Excellent for a lightweight lunch or dinner, or you’ll be able to serve it with a aspect of Garlic Bread for a heartier meal.
What Is Orzo?
Given its small, grain-like form, many individuals typically mistake orzo for rice. And it does look loads prefer it! Nevertheless, orzo (additionally known as rosini) is a kind of Italian pasta, constituted of semolina flour. You’ll discover it alongside different pasta in your native grocery retailer aisle.
What You’ll Want
Just like the viral feta tomato pasta that shares the flavors of this recipe, this creamy tomato feta soup comes along with just some easy components. Keep in mind to discuss with the recipe card for the complete quantities:
- Vegetable Broth: This vegetarian recipe makes use of vegetable broth or inventory. I like to recommend utilizing low-sodium broth, so you’ll be able to modify the soup’s saltiness to style.
- Olive Oil: Use a good high quality olive oil for the most effective taste.
- Herbs and Spices: dried oregano, crushed pink pepper flakes, salt, and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Orzo Pasta: It is a sort of small, short-cut pasta (see above). This sort of pasta is frequent in Greek and Italian cooking, so I assumed it was excellent to incorporate on this Mediterranean-style tomato soup!
- Canned Tomatoes: I make this soup from canned tomatoes, which I’ll drain after which chop. I desire entire plum tomatoes as they’ve the sweetest taste, however any number of canned tomatoes will do. Hearth-roasted tomatoes would additionally add a deeper taste.
- Feta Cheese: Feta cheese has a scrumptious salty, tangy taste. Use good high quality Greek feta cheese, and lower it into small cubes (some manufacturers come already diced).
- Pink Wine Vinegar: Hitting the soup with a splash of pink wine vinegar proper on the finish brightens the whole lot up and actually makes the flavors shine.
Can I Make This Soup With Recent Tomatoes?
Completely! I take a shortcut utilizing canned plum tomatoes, however you’ll be able to 100% make this soup with recent entire tomatoes as an alternative. You’ll need to take away the tomato skins on this case, which is definitely SO straightforward. Right here’s learn how to shortly peel tomatoes to make use of on this soup:
- Convey a pot of water to a boil, and put together a separate bowl with an ice tub. Gently pierce the pores and skin on the underside of every tomato with a knife.
- Blanche the tomatoes in boiling water for 30-60 seconds. This helps loosen up the tomato skins. When the skins start to wrinkle and peel away, switch the tomatoes instantly to the ice tub.
- After a minute or two, rigorously peel the skins away from the tomato flesh, and discard.
- Chop up the tomatoes as directed. Voila!
The right way to Make Tomato Soup with Orzo and Feta
This Greek tomato feta soup is so easy to make, it’ll really feel such as you’ve taken a Mediterranean trip (properly, shut sufficient):
- Warmth the Broth: First, you’ll warmth vegetable broth in a big pot with olive oil and a few seasonings, till it reaches a boil.
- Add Orzo and Tomatoes: Subsequent, stir within the orzo pasta and chopped tomatoes, then simmer to prepare dinner the pasta.
- Add Feta: Now, for the most effective half! After about 20 minutes, take the pot off of the warmth and stir within the feta cubes. Add a spoonful of pink wine vinegar to complete, and stir. The feta will soften barely, turning into creamy.
- Serve: Modify the seasonings to style, then dish up your soup whereas it’s heat. See beneath for simple sides to serve with this Greek tomato soup!
Suggestions for Success
This tomato feta soup recipe is nearly assured to come back out excellent. Listed here are some last suggestions for the most effective tomato soup:
- The feta cheese is the most effective a part of this soup. IMHO. Feta provides creaminess, saltiness, and a little bit of tang that turns this soup from “wow” to “WOW.” Don’t skip it! In a pinch, goat cheese is the most effective substitute.
- Keep away from overcooking the pasta. Goal to prepare dinner the orzo al dente. Overcooking will flip the pasta (to not point out your soup) right into a mushy mess.
- If you happen to’d desire a smoother soup, you should utilize an immersion blender to puree the tomatoes within the broth.
Listed here are some other ways you could make this tomato feta soup your individual:
- Rooster Inventory: This soup is at present made vegetarian, however it may be made with rooster inventory or broth if you happen to desire.
- Totally different Pasta: Instead of orzo, use one other sort of small pasta like orecchiette, ditalini, fussili, pastina, or bow tie pasta. Or, for a lighter soup, omit the pasta altogether.
- Recent Herbs: Stir in chopped recent basil, oregano, thyme, sage, or freshly minced garlic.
- Extra Veggies: Diced bell peppers, zucchini, riced cauliflower.
- Lemon: Along with or instead of the pink wine vinegar, stir in a spoonful of recent lemon juice for some lemon orzo soup vibes.
Greek tomato feta soup is a scrumptious mild bowlful all by itself, however you’ll be able to by no means go incorrect with some straightforward aspect dishes:
Storing and Reheating Do-it-yourself Tomato Soup
Refrigerate any leftover tomato feta soup hermetic for as much as 5 days. The soup might be reheated on the range or within the microwave till warmed by way of. You may discover that the soup will thicken whereas it’s saved, because the orzo absorbs extra of the liquid. Add a bit of additional broth to loosen it up if wanted.
If you recognize you’ll have a lot of leftovers, you’ll be able to omit the feta till you’re able to reheat it. That means the cheese can be recent on the reheat!
To make this recipe forward, put together the tomato soup proper up till you’d add the feta, then enable it to chill earlier than storing it hermetic and refrigerating. Everytime you’re able to serve it, reheat the soup, then stir in recent cubed feta together with the pink wine vinegar.
Can I Freeze Tomato Feta Soup?
If you happen to’d prefer to freeze this soup, I’d positively advocate freezing it earlier than including the feta cheese. As soon as the soup is cooled, retailer it hermetic and freeze it for as much as 3 months. Defrost the soup within the fridge earlier than reheating and stirring within the feta.
Greek Tomato Feta Soup is a simple vegetarian recipe full of the flavors of the Mediterranean. Made with juicy tomatoes, creamy feta, tender orzo pasta, and a lightweight chili kick.
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed pink pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon recent floor black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 (28- ounce) can of entire plum tomatoes, drained and lower into chunks
- 12– ounces of feta cheese small cubed
- 1 tablespoon pink wine vinegar
- Warmth a 5- quart dutch oven over medium-high warmth. Add within the vegetable broth, olive oil, oregano, pink pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Convey to a boil.
- Add within the orzo pasta and tomatoes. Cut back warmth to medium and prepare dinner for 20-25 minutes, till the pasta is tender, stirring sometimes.
- Take away the pot from the warmth and add within the cubed feta cheese and pink wine vinegar. Stir to mix. Modify seasonings if needed.
- Serve heat.
Retailer hermetic within the fridge for as much as 5 days. Reheat on the range prime or within the microwave.
Key phrases: tomato soup recipe, orzo soup, vegetarian soup recipes
Need To Save This Recipe?
Discover extra recipes like this:
Extra Straightforward Soup Recipes
PIN for later: