Fish and Brewis. A really outdated conventional Newfoundland recipe made out of onerous tack and salt cod. It’s nonetheless an extremely common dish yr spherical in addition to on the holidays like Easter, Good Friday and Christmas Eve.
Our buddy Chef Mark Mc Crowe joins us once more this week to deliver you a staple Newfoundland recipe that’s particularly common throughout Easter week. Fish and Brewis is a staple yr spherical in Newfoundland but it surely appears everybody makes it at the least as soon as Christmas or Easter week.
Good Friday and Christmas Eve specifically will see many properties dishing up this conventional favourite.
With that, I’ll flip you over to the chef. …And in case you are not following Chef Mark Mc Crowe on Instagram, it’s excessive time you probably did!
Fish and Brewis
Made with salt cod and onerous tack. That is the quintessential Newfoundland fish dish.
Pronounced “brews” this dish dates again to the early years of fishing in Newfoundland when cod was salted to protect it for commerce. The onerous tack bread as properly was dried to each be reconstituted and was a considerable meal within the off season and even whereas on an extended fishing journey to feed the fisherman at sea.
Its a dish that I grew up with and each time I make it right this moment I can’t assist however be transported to my Nan’s kitchen as a baby rising up across the bay.
There are a lot of methods to go about this dish, however the easy concept is to soak then boil your fish, potatoes and onerous tack whereas in a separate pan cooking down your salted pork scrunchions until crispy and golden.
The hallmark to a correct good fish and brewis is including your onions to the crisp pork scrunchions and cooking them out until they’re rendered a deep golden crispy brown. Its that growth of flavour that may set yours other than the remaining.
My solely departure from the standard recipe is to complete the dish beneath the broiler with a bit of the pork fats reserved from the rendering to provide the entire thing a crispy high. I add a bit chopped contemporary parsley and a squeeze of contemporary lemon juice to make the entire thing pop.
Love Newfoundland recipes?
For those who’d wish to see extra historically impressed recipes from our province, please take a look at this assortment on a few of our Most Widespread Newfoundland recipes.
Like these Fish and Brewis recipe?
It’s straightforward to maintain up with the most recent dwelling type cooking & baking concepts from Rock Recipes. You’ll want to comply with Rock Recipes Fb Web page and comply with us on Instagram.
Plus you’ll see day by day recipe recommendations from decadent desserts to fast scrumptious weekday meals too.
It’s also possible to join our FREE publication to know instantly once we add new recipes. You’ll additionally get weekly recommendations for nice household pleasant meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant within the Amazon Companies LLC Associates Program, an affiliate promoting program designed to supply a method for us to earn charges by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated websites. Our product suggestions are virtually solely for these we at the moment use or have used prior to now.
Fish and Brewis. A really outdated conventional Newfoundland recipe made out of onerous tack and salt cod. It is nonetheless an extremely common dish yr spherical in addition to on the holidays like Easter, Good Friday and Christmas Eve.
- 1 lb boneless salted cod, soaked in chilly water over night time
- 3 massive potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 6 biscuits of onerous tack, soaked in water
- 3 small onions, sliced
- 1 cup salted pork fats, diced
- 1 lemon
- Contemporary parsley to garnish
- Salt & contemporary cracked black pepper
- In a big pot deliver the peeled and sliced potatoes to a simmer and prepare dinner for five minutes.
- Drain extra water off the soaked onerous tack and add to the potato pot to proceed simmering for about 10 minutes.
- In a separate small pot add the drained salt cod and high up with contemporary water.
- Deliver the salt cod to a boil, cut back the warmth to medium and simmer for about quarter-hour.
- In a 3rd massive skillet slowly render out the pork scrunchion fats till crispy and golden brown.
- Drain off 75% off the fats and reserve for later to high the dish.
- Sauté sliced onions with the crispy pork scrunchions till onions are a deep golden brown. About quarter-hour.
- Drain each the potato and onerous tack in addition to the salt cod and stir into the crispy onion pan. Have a style and alter seasoning, conserving in thoughts the salt cod and scrunchions are each salty.
- Switch the entire combine right into a oven protected dish. High with additional pork fats drippings if desired and broil beneath your oven broiler setting for about 5-10 minutes or simply till a pleasant golden crust is shaped.
- High with contemporary chopped parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice and luxuriate in!
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 767Complete Fats 26gSaturated Fats 8gTrans Fats 0gUnsaturated Fats 16gLdl cholesterol 78mgSodium 2385mgCarbohydrates 94gFiber 8gSugar 7gProtein 40g
The dietary info offered is mechanically calculated by third social gathering software program and is supposed as a suggestion solely. Precise accuracy shouldn’t be assured. For recipes the place all components will not be used fully, equivalent to these with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for instance, calorie & dietary values per serving will possible be considerably decrease than indicated.