Put aside the boxed oatmeal cookie. These iced oatmeal cookies are the very best copycat Mom’s Cookies made with a cheeky vacation twist. In case you’re making your vacation cookie bake record, right here all types of inspiration: My 12 Greatest Christmas Cookie Recipes!
Some cookies make me really feel 3 ft tall – most likely as a result of that’s how previous I used to be once I’d stand on my tippy toes to succeed in for them on the excessive shelf of the kitchen cabinet the place my mother and father would tuck away particular treats. Tucked again on that shelf I’d discover a field of Mom’s English Tea Cookies (an underrated and superior sandwich cookie) or a tray of Mom’s Iced Oatmeal Cookies which, with it’s speckled frosting, was my choice particularly in the event that they have been barely stale and mushy.
Most store-bought cookies ought to keep store-bought cookies as a result of they’re good of their nostalgia, ease, and talent to eat by the row (ahem… OREOS). However these iced oatmeal cookies skyrocket in allure when created from scratch. They bake up crisp across the edges, with probably the most beautiful chew via the middle. And we are able to play with the glaze in keeping with the season. This December, I’m spiritually obligated to present these cinnamon spiced cookies an eggnog twist and I LOVE IT.
Get in right here with me. These are a *cooks kiss* cozy basic!
Listed below are the elements you’ll have to make these Eggnog Iced Oatmeal Cookies:
• quaint rolled oats
• brown sugar, although if all you’ve gotten is granulated sugar, right here’s easy methods to make brown sugar from scratch
• all-purpose flour
• kosher salt
• baking soda and baking powder
• floor cinnamon and floor nutmeg
• unsalted butter
• one giant egg separated into yolk and white
• powdered sugar
• vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
• eggnog (or water if you happen to’re making these outdoors of the vacation season)
As a substitute of a mixer to deliver this cookie dough collectively, we’ll use the bowl of a meals processor fitted with the steel blade.
We’re in search of texture right here, babes. Grind old school oats into a rough flour. This would be the base to those healthful, chewy, crisp cookies.
Can you utilize fast cooking oats as an alternative of old school oats in these iced oatmeal cookies?
In a pinch. Old style oats have the physique you want from the grain. Fast cooking oats don’t have the physique but when that’s all you’ve gotten within the pantry, throw them within the meals processor and mix till simply coarse.
After grinding the oats to a rough powder, add the remaining dry elements – brown sugar, all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and a great sprint of cinnamon and nutmeg. Whirl to mix.
Add room temperature cubes of butter and whirl right into a sandy combination earlier than including an egg yolk.
The cookie dough shall be cohesive although a little bit shaggy popping out of the meals processor. Tumble it onto a bit of plastic wrap of waxed paper and press and roll right into a log – about 10-inches lengthy and 1 1/2-inches vast. Refrigerate the dough for 3 hours or in a single day.
Somewhat than utilizing a cookie scoop, we’ll slice the dough into 1/4-inch cash. Press and spherical out any flat edges to make spherical cookies. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use my fave Goldtouch baking sheets from Williams Sonoma as a result of they’re tremendous nonstick and the cookies simply slide proper off.
Bake within the oven till the cookies are unfold and golden across the edges. Gently take away the cookies to chill on a wire rack earlier than glazing.
Whereas the cookies cool we’ll make the eggnog glaze. In a medium bowl, whisk collectively an egg white, powdered sugar, vanilla bean paste (as a result of it’s speckled with seeds and wonderful) or vanilla extract. Add just a few tablespoons of eggnog to succeed in the proper thick however drippy consistency.
Gently dip every cooled cookie into the glaze. Only a kiss will give the cookies it’s speckled, floor of the moon look.
Earlier than the glaze dries, sprinkle with floor nutmeg as a result of what we love about eggnog is definitely the nutmeg!
This oatmeal cookie recipe is value printing, doubling and maintaining shut. They’re immediate favorites, simply as Mom supposed.
For The Cookie Dough:
For the Icing:
- Within the bowl of a meals processor fitted with a steel blade, grind the oats to a flour. Add the brown sugar, flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and course of briefly to mix. Toss within the butter cubes and course of till the butter is nicely included and the dough begins to clump and pull off the perimeters of the bowl. Add the egg yolk and pulse till the dough comes along with no dry pockets. Chances are you’ll wish to rigorously use a spatula to shimmy any dry patches from the corners of the bowl.
- Line a piece floor with a big sheet of plastic wrap. Prove the dough onto the plastic wrap and kind it right into a log about 10-inches and 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap the dough tightly. Chill the dough till agency, about 3 hours within the fridge.
- Place a rack to the middle of the oven and preheat it to 350 levels F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Use a skinny, sharp knife to slice the dough log into 2 dozen rounds, every simply shy of 1/2-inch thick. Place the dough rounds to the ready baking sheets. Bake till golden and agency on the perimeters with a little bit of give within the facilities, about 12 minutes. Switch the cookies to a wire rack to chill fully—they may really feel mushy however will crisp throughout as they cool.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg white, powdered sugar, vanilla and salt. Combine with an electrical hand mixer till clean and thick. You might additionally do that in a medium bowl by hand. Whip in 1 teaspoon of eggnog till clean, including a bit extra as mandatory. To frost the cookies, working 1 at a time, kiss the tops calmly to the floor of the icing. Don’t totally submerge the cookies to permit some golden cookie to point out via the icing.
- Let the surplus icing drip off for a second, after which set the iced cookie on a wire rack. Earlier than the icing on the cookie units, sprinkle with a pinch or two of floor nutmeg. If the icing within the bowl begins to agency when you’re dipping, loosen it with just a few drops of water. Permit the icing to dry fully earlier than serving, about 1 hour.
- Retailer in an hermetic container for as much as 1 week.
This recipe is impressed by one in all my favourite bakers Shauna Sever and her cookbook Midwest Made.
Key phrases: cookies, christmas cookies, eggnog, oatmeal,