That is, by far, my favourite selfmade hen noodle soup recipe as a result of it’s merely the right mixture of straightforward, healthful, and satisfying. It’s creamy but mild, and advantages from the addition of potato, thyme, oregano, and handy pre-cooked rotisserie hen. For those who’re in search of a straightforward but extremely scrumptious selfmade creamy hen noodle soup recipe, simply learn among the critiques under, then attempt it for your self!
That is a type of recipes I prefer to make a giant double batch of on a chilly, sluggish weekend in January, and freeze half for future busy weeknights. It’s additionally an incredible one to take to a pal or neighbor who’s in want of a comforting selfmade meal.
This creamy hen noodle soup has solely about 200 energy per 1 cup. The potato provides heartiness to the soup and, because it cooks, makes the soup even creamier. I’ve made this soup in all probability near 100 instances since I initially revealed the recipe in 2015. Belief me, don’t go away that potato out!
Reader Melinda commented: “I made this right this moment and must say that that is now our favourite selfmade hen noodle soup recipe, too! I adopted the recipe precisely as written and hubby liked it. ★★★★★”
Reader DLand commented: “I first made this as a dinner for a brand new mother and pop. It was so good I couldn’t wait to make it once more to maintain for my very own dinner. Thanks for an additional fantastic recipe! ★★★★★”
Reader Paula commented: “This soup was scrumptious, greatest hen soup I’ve eaten. I added Italian seasoning since I didn’t have oregano or recent thyme and it was good. ★★★★★”
Cozy up with a bowl of this soup, alongside a recent salad and a heat slice of selfmade artisan bread, for a meal that can go away you feeling glad, however not weighed down.
Right here’s Why You’ll Love This Gentle & Creamy Hen Noodle Soup
- Lightened up, but nonetheless creamy and so satisfying
- May be made on the range or in a sluggish cooker
- 1-pot meal
- Utilizing a cooked rotisserie hen saves time
- A lot extra scrumptious than store-bought soup
- Make forward of time and freeze
- Great way to make use of up leftover hen
- Flavorful spices, herbs, and greens
- Final winter consolation meals!
Finest Substances to Use:
You want 1 large pot and some staple substances. This can be a forgiving recipe, so let’s overview what can change if wanted.
- Butter: Only a Tablespoon, to melt the greens.
- Greens: Onion, carrots, and celery type the mirepoix taste base for this soup.
- Herbs/Flavors: Use a mix of garlic, dried or recent thyme and oregano, recent floor pepper, and salt. Be at liberty to make use of different herbs you get pleasure from as a substitute, if desired.
- Flour or Cornstarch: Flour (or cornstarch) thickens the liquid, taking this soup from brothy to creamy. See recipe Notice for that substitution.
- Hen Broth: Or inventory.
- Potato: 1 medium potato is the primary magical ingredient on this recipe, as a result of it cooks down and makes the soup SO creamy, hearty, and satisfying.
- Hen: This recipe saves time as a result of you should use pre-cooked hen. You could possibly additionally use leftover cooked turkey, like we do on this turkey pot pie! I often decide up a small rotisserie hen from the grocery retailer, shred it, and add it proper into the soup. Or you’ll be able to boil/poach hen breasts or roast them with just a little garlic and thyme, let cool barely (or refrigerate for a day or two), then shred or chop. If in case you have leftover hen, it’s also possible to use it in recipes like my hen quinoa salad or peanut hen zucchini noodles.
- Milk or Half-and-Half: That is the opposite magical ingredient that turns your selfmade hen noodle soup into the creamiest soup ever. Use 1 cup of complete milk or 1 cup of half-and-half. If you wish to make common (non-creamy) hen noodle soup, substitute the milk with extra hen broth.
- Noodles: I want large egg noodles in hen soup, however you should use any sort of dry pasta you want, or go noodle-less.
If you could find large egg noodles, go forward and use these in right this moment’s soup. For those who don’t have egg noodles, any dry pasta you want would work. Maintain the noodles sufficiently small to suit on a spoon, so break any massive dry pasta earlier than utilizing if wanted. A couple of readers have even used tortellini as a substitute!
How Does the Soup Thicken Up?
Cooking down the onion, carrots, and celery is a key step within the recipe. After you prepare dinner them down, add flour and your herbs. The flour will soak up the liquid from the softening greens, and create a pleasant thick base for the soup. That is precisely how we begin biscuit vegetable pot pie, too.
Complete milk or half-and-half additionally thicken up the soup. I’ve even made it with half the quantity (1/2 cup or 120ml) heavy cream in a pinch. (Add extra hen broth in the event you use heavy cream; see recipe Notice.)
Good and thick, with out being too heavy.
After the vegetable combination cooks and also you add the flour and seasonings (above), you’ll add the broth and potato. Boil, after which simmer on the range earlier than including the milk/half-and-half, hen, and noodles. End cooking. It’s all quite simple.
*Sluggish cooker directions within the recipe Notes under!*
Can I Skip the Noodles or Use Rice As an alternative?
Sure. Be at liberty to skip the noodles fully with no different adjustments to the recipe. Or you should use 1 cup of raw rice as a substitute. Add it while you would add the noodles.
This Soup Satisfies. Interval.
One bowl of this mild & creamy hen noodle soup will go away you feeling glad for hours, with out feeling weighed down. That is the meal that retains on giving as a result of when you’ve got a smaller household, there will probably be loads of leftover soup to get pleasure from through the week. Serve in selfmade bread bowls or alongside a batch of deliciously tender dinner rolls or brown butter sage dinner rolls.
I calculated the diet particulars utilizing the SparkRecipes calculator app, and a 1-cup serving of this creamy hen noodle soup, when utilizing complete milk, is just 203 energy, with 20 grams of protein. Creamy, but mild… greatest soup ever!
This creamy hen noodle soup is creamy but mild, and advantages from the addition of potato, flavorful thyme and oregano, and handy pre-cooked rotisserie hen. You can also make it on the range or sluggish cooker (see Notice for sluggish cooker directions).
- Soften the butter in a big pot or dutch oven (4 quart or bigger) over medium warmth. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook dinner, stirring often, for five minutes or till greens have softened. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, thyme, and oregano and prepare dinner for two minutes.
- Subsequent, add the hen broth and potato. Give every little thing a fast stir, then enhance the warmth to medium-high. Convey the soup to a boil, with out stirring, and boil for 3 minutes. Cut back the warmth to medium-low, partially cowl the pot, and permit to simmer for 25 minutes or till the potatoes have softened. Style the soup, and add extra seasonings to style, if desired.
- Add the hen, half-and-half/milk, and noodles. Cook dinner for 10 minutes till the noodles are tender and the soup has thickened. As soon as once more, style the soup and add extra seasoning as desired. Serve heat.
- Cowl and retailer leftovers within the fridge for as much as 1 week. To reheat, merely pour right into a pot over medium warmth and prepare dinner till heat. Be at liberty so as to add extra hen broth to the leftovers if it’s too thick. (Soup thickens within the fridge because the noodles and potatoes take in the liquid.)
- Freezing Directions: Freeze soup for as much as 3 months. Thaw within the fridge the day earlier than consuming, after which reheat on the range till heat.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Dutch oven
- Sluggish Cooker Directions: Put together the soup by way of step 1 on the stovetop. Switch to a sluggish cooker (affiliate hyperlink) and proceed with step 2, however don’t add the potato but. Enable to prepare dinner for two hours on low, then add the potato, hen, half-and-half/milk, and noodles. Cook dinner on low for 1–2 extra hours.
- Taste Tip: Throughout the previous couple of minutes of prepare dinner time, attempt including a squeeze of recent lemon. It’s so good!
- Flour: As an alternative of 1/4 cup of flour, you should use 2 Tablespoons (16g) cornstarch.
- Herbs: I like this soup with oregano and thyme. Or you should use 1 and 1/2–2 teaspoons pre-made Italian seasoning (discovered within the spice aisle).
- Broth: I exploit low sodium hen broth. If you’re utilizing common broth, begin with just one/4 teaspoon of salt. Because the soup winds up, style and add extra salt if desired.
- Hen: I like to recommend utilizing rotisserie hen, and you should use both white or darkish meat. Or you’ll be able to roast some hen breasts your self. Rub with just a little minced garlic and dried thyme, roast within the oven underneath tender, then shred or chop it. You may also boil 2 massive hen breasts till cooked by way of, then shred/chop and use on this recipe.
- Complete Milk/Half-and-Half: Both works splendidly on this recipe. Keep away from lower-fat milks, and in the event you want a nondairy milk suggestion, I like to recommend plain oat milk. Plain almond milk can be the second most suitable choice for nondairy. Remember that the soup gained’t be as creamy. You could possibly use 1/2 cup (120ml) heavy cream as a substitute. If utilizing 1/2 cup of heavy cream, add one other 1/2 cup of hen broth to the recipe.
- Finest Noodles to Use: I want large egg noodles in hen soup, however any homestyle egg noodles work. You should utilize different dry pasta too, comparable to elbow macaroni or fettuccine (break as much as match on soup spoon). If utilizing a smaller pasta, cut back quantity to 2-3 cups. A couple of readers have even used tortellini! Or you should use 1 cup of raw rice as a substitute. Add it while you would add the noodles.
Key phrases: creamy hen noodle soup