This scorching Crab Dip is the final word holiday-worthy appetizer that’s good for main holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Yr. It’s loaded with lump crab meat and tastes just like the filling for Crab Rangoon. It’s creamy, tacky, and irresistibly good. You possibly can even assemble it forward and bake it simply in time on your social gathering or gathering.
We love creamy dips like Spinach Artichoke Dip and naturally our Scorching Shrimp Dip. If you’re a fan of decadent mouthwatering dips, this Crab Dip Recipe is a must-try. Watch the video tutorial and see how simple it’s.
This publish could include affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.
The Finest Scorching Crab Dip Recipe
This creamy and tacky crab dip will steal the present at your vacation social gathering. This crab dip recipe will be spendy when utilizing Recent King Crab meat, so preserve a watch out for gross sales on crab legs which utilizing occur simply earlier than the vacations.
Frankly, this crab dip is likely one of the finest methods to stretch king crab meat and serve a crowd with a few massive crab legs. I even have some scrumptious substitution choices if you’d like a cheaper dish that can nonetheless impress everybody.
Crab Dip Recipe Video
Watch Natasha make this Scorching Crab Dip. You’ll be stunned at how simple it’s to make this creamy dip. Make it on your subsequent celebration and everybody shall be so impressed.
The important thing to creating nice crab dip is to ensure the cream cheese is at room temperature. It will guarantee an excellent creamy base with out lumps. Discover actual measurements within the print-friendly recipe beneath.
- Cream Cheese, Bitter Cream and Mayo– Create a creamy, wealthy, and flavorful base for the dip. Use full fats (not lowered fats for one of the best outcomes).
- Mozzarella Cheese – creates an irresistible tacky dip while you put it contained in the dip and sprinkling extra on prime creates an irresistible golden crust.
- Chives and Garlic – aromatics that add nice taste and aroma
- Lemon juice – cuts the richness and brightens the dip
- Scorching Sauce – use your favourite scorching sauce and add it to style.
- Previous Bay Seasoning – that is our go-to seasoning for seafood, however you possibly can substitute it (see Widespread questions part)
- Lump Crab Meat – recent is finest, particularly freshly cooked king crab legs (see substitution choices beneath). You’ll want 12-16 oz of crab meat for this recipe.
What’s the Finest Crab Meat for Crab Dip?
We love king crab meat from cooked king crab legs. I bought it at Costco and was capable of get 12 oz of meat from 1.6 lbs of shell-on crab legs. The crab on this dish is the star of the present, if you wish to substitute it with completely different seafood, see solutions beneath.
Should you actually wish to love this dip, keep away from any canned crab meat (each the tin jars on the shelf or the refrigerated lump crab meat selection). I’ve tried canned crab meat on this recipe a few completely different occasions, which incorporates lump crab meat offered within the refrigerated part of the grocery retailer, and each time it was barely fishy and never one of the best.
Professional Tip: To take away meat from king crab legs, begin by shaping the legs aside by breaking them on the knuckles then use sturdy kitchen shears to chop via the shells lengthwise. Pull the shells aside to disclose the meat.
Can I Substitute the Crab Meat?
There are cheaper choices for king crab meat on this recipe:
- Shrimp – Attempt cooked shrimp meat as we utilized in our Shrimp Dip.
- Imitation Crab – this isn’t actual crab meat (therefore the identify), however it is going to nonetheless end up an honest crab dip. It’s additionally cheaper.
- Snow Crab Legs – snow crab meat will work right here, however it may be tough to pluck that a lot meat from the crab legs. Put on gloves otherwise you’ll find yourself with sore arms.
How one can Make Crab Dip
- Beat collectively – cream cheese, bitter cream, and mayo in a big mixing bowl till creamy.
- Stir in flavorings – add mozzarella cheese, chives, garlic, lemon juice, scorching sauce, and outdated bay seasoning. Stir to mix.
- Add crab – fold in crab till mixed. Unfold the combination right into a 1.5 to 2 qt casserole dish (I used my 10.5×7.5) and sprinkle the highest with the remaining mozzarella.
- Bake at 400˚F for 25 minutes till scorching and bubbly. Broil for the final minute for a golden brown cheese crust. Garnish with chives and serve with crackers, pita chips, or chips.
You possibly can substitute outdated bay with a easy seasoning mixture of 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp black pepper, and 1/8 tsp paprika. Watch out to not over-salt since crab meat is normally pretty salty.
This dip must be heated and served scorching or heat. Since it’s dairy-based and perishable, it must be refrigerated after two hours at room temperature.
Crab meat mustn’t scent fishy. In case your crab smells unhealthy, you need to return or discard it. If you’ll be able to scent your crab legs earlier than you buy them, they need to scent candy and never pungent. Don’t use crab meat that has a nasty odor.
We favor to rinse cooked crab legs in chilly water to assist eliminate the additional salt on the surface and on the uncovered meat.
A lot of the crab legs within the US are offered pre-cooked and there’s no have to re-cook it earlier than utilizing it within the dip, simply thaw if frozen. Should you catch some recent raw crab legs, comply with our tutorial on find out how to cook dinner crab legs earlier than continuing with this recipe.
We like to serve this heat whereas it’s gooey and tacky. We like to dip into this with:
- Crackers – Ritz or artisan crackers. I favor crackers that aren’t too salty for the reason that dip already has a good quantity of salt.
- Tortilla chips – use your favourite corn or complete grain tortillas.
- Cucumber – recent slices of cucumber are an excellent gluten-free and recent possibility.
Since this dip has dairy and seafood, to be secure, be sure that it doesn’t sit out at room temperature for longer than 2 hours with out refrigeration. That mentioned, this dip does preserve and reheat properly.
- To Refrigerate: So long as your crab could be very recent, you can also make this 1 day forward then refrigerate and bake it simply earlier than serving.
- Leftovers: As soon as the dip has cooled to room temperature, cowl it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for as much as 2 days.
- Freezing: We don’t advocate freezing this dip since it’s dairy-based.
- To Reheat: Bake the uncovered casserole dish in a scorching oven at 350˚F for about 12-Quarter-hour or till steamy scorching, or warmth parts within the microwave in 30-second intervals till scorching.
This scorching Crab Dip Recipe is at all times a success at events. Any seafood lover will respect this. You’ll know who they’re when their eyes gentle up figuring out it’s King Crab Dip! You’ll undoubtedly discover me hovering over crab dip. It’s an actual deal with and among the finest methods to deal with a crowd to crab meat.
Extra Appetizer Recipes
Should you love this crab dip, then you definately gained’t wish to miss these part-favorite appetizer recipes:
Crab Dip Recipe (VIDEO)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook dinner Time: 25 minutes
Whole Time: 45 minutes
This scorching Crab Dip is the final word holiday-worthy dip. This tastes just like the filling for Crab Rangoon. It’s creamy, tacky and irresistibly good. You possibly can even assemble it forward and bake simply in time on your social gathering.
Value to Make:
$ varies by crab pricing
crab dip, creamy crab dip, scorching crab dip
Servings: 8 individuals
cream cheese, softened
shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
chopped chives or inexperienced onion, divided, plus extra to garnish
garlic cloves, pressed or grated
lemon juice, from 1/2 lemon
scorching sauce, or added to style, we love Cholula
Previous Bay seasoning
lump crab meat, *ideally recent meat from cooked king crab legs, patted dry with paper towels.
Preheat oven to 400˚F and butter a 1 1/2 to 2 quart casserole dish.
In a big bowl, mix cream cheese, bitter cream and mayonnaise. Use an electrical mixer to beat them collectively till easy.
Add 1 cup of the shredded cheese, chives, garlic, lemon juice, scorching sauce, and outdated bay seasoning. Stir to mixed then fold in crab meat till mixed.
Unfold the combination into your ready casserole dish, sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese and bake uncovered at 400˚F for 25 minutes or till scorching, effervescent and browned in spots. If extra shade is desired on prime, you possibly can broil for 1 minutes on the finish.
Crab Dip Recipe (VIDEO)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy from Fats 225
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 11g69%
Trans Fats 0.03g
Polyunsaturated Fats 7g
Monounsaturated Fats 6g
Ldl cholesterol 71mg24%
Vitamin A 609IU12%
Vitamin C 6mg7%
* % Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.