Disclosure: This put up might comprise affiliate hyperlinks. I could earn a small fee for my endorsement, advice, testimonial, and/or hyperlink to any services or products from this web site.
This Lentil Soup is made with a basic mirepoix, hearty lentils, savory broth and the proper mixture of spices. Get pleasure from a bowl of this heat vegan soup with bread for dunking. Vegan, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free.
This basic Lentil Soup is the last word budget-friendly, veggie-packed recipe. No must fuss over hard-to-find elements or difficult directions to take pleasure in a hearty plant-based meal. This one-pot soup is assured to win a spot on the meal plan rotation.
Desk of Contents
A Recent Twist on Canned Lentil Soup
Rising up vegetarian, I liked canned lentil soup. It was fast, straightforward to warmth up, and at all times stocked in my childhood pantry. This do-it-yourself model is equally nostalgic, however with a contemporary twist and some taste upgrades. You merely can’t beat do-it-yourself!
Benefit from the storage and freezer directions and have a stash within the freezer to take pleasure in year-round.
What You Want for Lentil Soup
This hearty lentil soup consists of the basics of any good soup:
- A mirepoix: tons of soup recipes begin with sauteing a mix of onion, carrots, and celery for a motive – it lays the inspiration for a flavorful soup.
- A mix of seasonings: right here we’re utilizing Italian seasoning mix, paprika, cumin, bay leaves, and black pepper.
- Broth: I opted for good ol’ usual vegetable broth, however if you need a richer tasting lentil soup go for vegan “beef” broth.
- Lemon juice: any hearty soup wants a splash of acidity to steadiness the wealthy and hearty flavors.
- Protein: this isn’t a vital ingredient in each soup per se, however it’s once you’re trying to serve a bowl of soup as a stand alone essential dish. I personally love the heartiness of inexperienced lentils (typically known as French lentils), however brown lentils will work in a pinch.
The best way to Make Lentil Soup
- Saute the aromatics in a heat dutch oven or giant pot. Add the tomato paste and blend till evenly distributed.
- Season with garlic, Italian seasoning, paprika, cumin, bay leaves, and black pepper and blend effectively. Saute for two minutes to toast the spices.
- Stir within the lentils, tomatoes, vegetable broth, and water till effectively mixed.
- Boil over excessive warmth, then cut back to a simmer till the lentils are tender, 20 to half-hour. Add further water in case your lentil soup turns into too thick.
- Serve heat with contemporary parsley and extra sides as desired.
Caitlin’s Cooking Suggestions
- Keep away from overcooking your soup. For greatest texture, simmer lengthy sufficient to make the lentils tender, however nonetheless maintain their form. In case you simmer for too lengthy, the lentils will develop into overly mushy and develop into extra mushy (notably true with brown lentils).
- Don’t skip the saute! Sauteeing the aromatics earlier than bringing to a boil is crucial to creating depth of taste and layers of complexity. This 10 minutes of prep is brief, but crucial to full bodied taste.
This basic lentil soup is a dinner favourite that additionally makes for scrumptious lunch leftovers. Serve with my 3-Ingredient Pesto Star Bread or Straightforward Vegan Cornbread for dunking. This soup additionally pairs effectively with easy salads like this Kale Apple Walnut Salad or Kale & Cranberry Salad with Tahini Cider Dressing.
In case you’re on the lookout for extra cozy vegan soup recipes, you’ll love this Roasted Tomato Soup, One-Pot Vegan Lasagna Soup, Coconut Curry Lentil Soup, and this Really feel Good Pink Lentil Soup.
The best way to Retailer Lentil Soup
Retailer leftovers within the fridge for as much as 5 days, or within the freezer for as much as 2 months. Earlier than freezing, enable the soup to chill fully to room temperature. If the soup is saved whereas nonetheless heat, condensation will construct up inside your container and trigger freezer burn.
Reheat any leftover soup within the microwave or a small saucepan. If frozen, enable the lentil soup to thaw for 1-2 days within the fridge, then reheat as standard.
Lentils are a legume, similar as beans like black beans, pinto beans, chickpeas, soy beans, and so forth.
Nope! Lentils are hearty, however fast cooking, that means they’ll be good and tender from dry with nearly 20 to half-hour of simmering.
Technically black lentils are the healthiest, however all lentils are a terrific supply of diet and a part of a balanced vegan food plan.
This lentil soup ought to be pretty thick, however in case you desire a thicker soup, combine 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water in a small bowl. Add this cornstarch slurry into the soup and simmer till thickened to your required consistency. Consider, the soup will proceed to thicken because it cools as effectively.
Get pleasure from! In case you make this recipe and resolve to share it on Fb or Instagram, don’t neglect to tag me @FromMyBowl + #FromMyBowl! I’d additionally find it irresistible in case you may go away a remark beneath with a recipe score! Thanks for the assist 😊
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 carrots sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- Black pepper to style
- 2 cups dry brown or inexperienced lentils sorted and rinsed
- 1 14.5 ounce crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3-4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon contemporary lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley for garnish
Aromatics: Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven or giant pot over medium warmth. Add the onion and sauté for two to three minutes. Add the carrots and celery and sauté for 1 minute, then add the tomato paste to the greens and blend till evenly distributed. Sauté for two to three minutes, stirring sometimes.
Spices: Add the garlic, italian seasoning, paprika, cumin, bay leaves, and black pepper to the pot. Combine effectively and sauté for 1 minute, to toast the spices.
Simmer: Add the lentils, tomatoes, vegetable broth, and three cups (700 ml) of water to the pot and stir effectively. Deliver to a boil over excessive warmth, then cut back the warmth to medium and simmer for 20 to half-hour, stirring sometimes, till the lentils are tender. If the soup will get too thick on your liking add the extra cup of water as mandatory.
Ending Touches: Take away the bay leaves from the soup and discard. Add the lemon juice and blend effectively; season with salt and pepper to style, if mandatory.
Serve: Serve heat, topped with a sprinkle of contemporary parsley. Retailer leftovers within the fridge for as much as 5 days, or within the freezer for as much as 2 months.
- Oil-Free: Exchange the oil with ¼ cup of water and sauté the greens in keeping with the recipe directions, including extra water as mandatory if issues begin to stick.
Energy: 330kcalCarbohydrates: 53gProtein: 19gFats: 6gSaturated Fats: 1gPolyunsaturated Fats: 1gMonounsaturated Fats: 4gSodium: 152mgPotassium: 1018mgFiber: 23gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 5620IUVitamin C: 17mgCalcium: 101mgIron: 7mg